I got a KitchenAid stand mixer for Christmas, compliments of my mama. The first one was faulty. As antsy as I was to break it in, I didn’t want to start out with such a fancy gadget and be worried it would burn out.
So, we went through the process of ordering a new one to make an exchange.
Long story short, I got my new mixer last week! It’s a beautiful light yellow (even though, to my mother’s dismay, my kitchen is not yellow-themed).
We have parties in the office every once in a while. Not really celebrations so much as food-filled days. It was the perfect occasion to break in the mixer. Mostly because it came just two days after I washed everything and set it up.
I totally cheated with my cupcake offering. I used a boxed vanilla cake mix. But I read a tip about adding whipped cream. Yes, you read that correctly. I found a way to make cupcakes even healthier and more appropriate for a Tuesday.
But the star of the show was the frosting. Thick, rich Nutella frosting.
Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter
- 3/4 cup Nutella
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk or cream
- pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Add Nutella and beat together on medium until well combined and slightly lighter in color, about 3-5 minutes
- Add vanilla extract, milk, and salt.
- Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Start with 2 cups and add more to reach desired consistency.
- Enjoy! Frost some cupcakes or just dig in.