I have seen “gallery walls” on some of my favorite blogs. I don’t know if it’s too buzz-wordy to use, or if it’s actually what they’re called. (Wikipedia has failed me for the first time.)
So I decided I wanted to try, too. There’s a great empty wall in the dining room area of our new apartment. So when we took our big, delightful Ikea trip, I decided to stock up on lots of inexpensive black frames. I didn’t know what photos I had for what, but I just chose some random sizes, bigger and small, and extras of the really cheap 8.5×11 and 5×7 sizes.
Then I sat down on the living room floor and cut out printer paper shapes for all of my frames. That’s what the other blogs told me to do. Easy peasy.
Long story short, those white paper shapes hung on that wall for a solid two weeks. I tried to make it beautiful. I tried to make it free-form with a little flair.
And it failed so bad.
It took me two weeks to realize that I’m simply not that kind of creative. I’ve been doing well with not bashing myself for things like that any more. I’m simply too structured when I look at something, and need to make sense of things in lines and grids. I think I’ve been able to accomplish really creative things working with a little structure, at least I was able to in my few college art classes.
So I took all of my templates down — again — and set to work lining things up a little bit more. It’s not perfect. But it totally worked, did not make me want to pull my hair out, and now the wall is full of photos instead of ridiculous looking white paper shapes.
Yeah, I also printed out thumbnails of the photos to stick to the templates. Because I’m
crazy just awesome.
In the spare room, I had some mock Polaroids from my last apartment. I figured out dimensions of Polaroid 300 film, and printed them out on photo paper with crop marks to preserve the right white space.
For this apartment, I added four new images to the ones I already had, and decided to hang them above the big bay window in the second room. They’re small up there, but I love them. I used the same orange washi tape I had used with them last time.
And again, because I like grids and lines and plans, I used a strip of painters tape, did some math, and spaced them out evenly so they’d begin and end with the edges of the window.
And that is wall planning at the new apartment. I still have a few more photos to print and ideas to iron out, but at least not all the walls are blank now.
I’ll save my “after” shots — I don’t think it’ll ever actually feel right to call them that — for now. Maybe it will encourage me to share some apartment tour posts.