when EP and i were in mexico back in may, we toured the mayan ruins. it seriously inspired awe.
we also had a tour guide through part of the ruins. among other things we learned, we got to learn about the mayan calendar, and all this worry and speculation.
the mayans had calendars for everything — for the flowers, and the moon, and ev-er-y-thing. but they had 3 main calendars. and every once in a while [a very long while], the 3 calendars lined up. it happened that the next time they all lined up would be in december of 2012. and when the 3 big ones lined up, they would start numbering their years back at 0. so i’m not saying the mayans weren’t incredible, or didn’t know their sh*t. i’m saying people may have jumped to some conclusions.
it did make me wonder, though, what i’d choose to make it the best day possible. you know, if it was my only chance. i really thought about this on 12.11.12, when i thought it was 12.12.12. and then again yesterday. i didn’t sway far from normal.
on 12.12.12, i chose —
* one of my favorite lunch spots with EP to hide out in a booth and unwind in the middle of the day.
* to go out of the way and pick up my favorite red wine for dinner instead of settling for one i don’t really like.
* a great dinner with EP and my best friend [which, truthfully, had been planned a couple of days ago]
* to be happy at work. i made the choice. i can’t stand some people around me. and tasks get frustrating. and i don’t have enough direction. but i really enjoy some things i get to work on. and i ignored those i couldn’t get away from. i started the day off with christmas songs i my head, and i kept things light with my coworkers who are all feeling just as stressed.
and yesterday, i chose —
* to leave work a little early [everyone gets a 1/2 day today. but i took a vacation day. so i decided to start my holidays!]
* to participate in perhaps our oldest christmas cookie tradition [the frosting in the middle of the tiny sandwich cookies. this cookie has given my mama at least 2 nervous breakdowns over the years]
* to wrap christmas presents
* to talk to EP before bed. and to go to sleep early. [i have a tendency to get nervous even when i know something is near definitely not true. he calmed me down. and then called this morning to wish me a “good post-apocalyptic morning.” <3 ]
this wasn’t really a perfect experiment, because of everything i mentioned at the top there. i don’t know what i would do if i knew i just had a short set amount of time left… i guess, really, we all only have a short amount of time left. but let’s not make this post too much of a downer.
i probably wouldn’t go in to work at all. i think i would ask all my favorite people to get together. talk and make each other laugh and probably go out into the sunshine together.
what would you do with the next few hours to make them your best ever? what would you do to really enjoy yourself?
[um, PS, i just realized i may have never shared photos from mexico. i mentioned here that i printed 320, and that was the last of it. consider this warning that the blog might be getting some 7-month-old vacation photos very soon.]